Following the announcement that legendary singer, songwriter and performer John Prine will release his highly anticipated new album, The Tree of Forgiveness, via on his own independent label, Oh Boy Records (April 13 ), Prine has now revealed ‘Knockin’ On Your Screen Door’, the second track to be taken from the album. Watch the new lyric video below.
The album includes ten new songs written by Prine along with co-writers Pat McLaughlin, Roger Cook, Dan Auerbach, Keith Sykes and Phil Spector and features guests Brandi Carlile, Jason Isbell and Amanda Shires. He will also return to the UK in August for a short run of dates, including Cambridge Folk Festival.
In celebration of the album, Prine will embark on an extensive worldwide tour that will span throughout 2018, including a very special co-headline concert at New York’s Radio City Music Hall with Sturgill Simpson (solo) on album release day as well as newly announced shows at L.A.’s Ace Theatre, Boston’s Wang Theatre, Austin’s Bass Hall,Nashville’s Ryman Auditorium (two nights) and UK dates including an appearance at the Cambridge Folk Festival in August.
The landmark album and tour follow a noteworthy 2017, which included an “Artist of the Year” award at the Americana Music Honors & Awards and a Chicago/Midwest Regional Emmy Award for his “Chicago Voices” performance with Renée Fleming. Last year also saw the release of Prine’s debut book, John Prine Beyond Words, which includes a selection of favourites songs, photographs and stories from Prine’s beloved catalogue.
The Tree Of Forgiveness Track List
1. “Knockin’ On Your Screen Door” (by John Prine and Pat McLaughlin)
2. “I Have Met My Love Today” ft. Brandi Carlile (by John Prine and Roger Cook)
3. “Egg & Daughter Nite, Lincoln Nebraska, 1967 (Crazy Bone)” (by John Prine and Pat McLaughlin)
4. “Summer’s End” (written by John Prine and Pat McLaughlin)
5. “Caravan of Fools” (by John Prine, Dan Auerbach, and Pat McLaughlin)
6. “The Lonesome Friends of Science” (by John Prine)
7. “No Ordinary Blue” (by John Prine and Keith Sykes)
8. “Boundless Love” (by John Prine, Dan Auerbach, and Pat McLaughlin)
9. “God Only Knows” (by John Prine and Phil Spector)
10. “When I Get to Heaven” (by John Prine)
John Prine plays the following UK Dates:
Thurs 2nd GLASGOW, Kelvingrove Bandstand (with John Moreland)
Fri 3rd BIRMINGHAM, Town Hall (with John Moreland)
Sun 5th CAMBRIDGE, Cambridge Folk Festival
Photo credit Danny Clinch