In 2016 John Prine delivered For Better, Or Worse, a belated sequel to his 1999 classic In Spite of Ourselves. In his review of the album, Mike Davies declared it one of his finest releases, proof that John Prine, now 71 hadn’t lost his gift. That’s quite an acclaim considering it was an album of covers but Prine is about to re-balance this with a new album featuring his first new material in over 13 years. The album contains ten new songs and if that wasn’t enough to excite than the list of co-writers may well tip you over: Pat McLaughlin, Roger Cook, Dan Auerbach, Keith Sykes and Phil Spector.
The Tree of Forgiveness is released on April 13 on his own independent label, Oh Boy Records and was produced by Grammy Award-winning Dave Cobb. Check the lyric video for first single, Summer’s End, below:
In addition to Prine (lead vocals and acoustic guitar) and Cobb (acoustic guitar, mellotron, claps, kazoo), the album features special guests Brandi Carlile, Jason Isbell and Amanda Shires.
In celebration of the album, Prine will embark on an extensive worldwide tour that will span throughout 2018, including a very special co-headline concert at New York’s Radio City Music Hall with Sturgill Simpson (solo) on album release day as well as newly announced shows at L.A.’s Ace Theatre, Boston’s Wang Theatre, Austin’s Bass Hall,Nashville’s Ryman Auditorium (two nights) and UK dates including an appearance at the Cambridge Folk Festival in August.
The landmark album and tour follow a noteworthy 2017, which included an “Artist of the Year” award at the Americana Music Honors & Awards and a Chicago/Midwest Regional Emmy Award for his “Chicago Voices” performance with Renée Fleming. Last year also saw the release of Prine’s debut book, John Prine Beyond Words, which includes a selection of favourites songs, photographs and stories from Prine’s beloved catalogue.
The Tree Of Forgiveness Track List
1. “Knockin’ On Your Screen Door” (by John Prine and Pat McLaughlin)
2. “I Have Met My Love Today” ft. Brandi Carlile (by John Prine and Roger Cook)
3. “Egg & Daughter Nite, Lincoln Nebraska, 1967 (Crazy Bone)” (by John Prine and Pat McLaughlin)
4. “Summer’s End” (written by John Prine and Pat McLaughlin)
5. “Caravan of Fools” (by John Prine, Dan Auerbach, and Pat McLaughlin)
6. “The Lonesome Friends of Science” (by John Prine)
7. “No Ordinary Blue” (by John Prine and Keith Sykes)
8. “Boundless Love” (by John Prine, Dan Auerbach, and Pat McLaughlin)
9. “God Only Knows” (by John Prine and Phil Spector)
10. “When I Get to Heaven” (by John Prine)
John Prine plays the following UK Dates:
Thurs 2nd GLASGOW, Kelvingrove Bandstand (with John Moreland)
Fri 3rd BIRMINGHAM, Town Hall (with John Moreland)
Sun 5th CAMBRIDGE, Cambridge Folk Festival
Photo credit Danny Clinch