Topic Records are known throughout the world as the worlds oldest surviving independent record label. They have been releasing records since 1939, and on their 75th Anniversary, they embarked on the mountainous task of making many of their out of print titles digitally available. The publicity around that anniversary was a great reminder to many of how richly rewarding those recordings are even today.
Now approaching their 80th Anniversary, Topic have announced the release of two new CD releases on 20th October 2017:
Various Artists: Topic Records – The Real Sound Of Folk Music
The perfect introduction to the wonders of Topic Records the worlds oldest surviving independent record label, a 2 CD set featuring 28 specially selected songs from the labels vast catalogue.
The story of Topic is synonymous with the growth of folk as a musical and social movement in Britain, and these recordings demonstrate the bridge between modern music and a traditional art form.
On this 2 CD set, you will find some of the most remarkable singers, songs and tunes, either drawn directly from the tradition or inspired by it.
Artists include John Tams, Steve Ashley, Dick Gaughan, Ewan MacColl, Anne Briggs, Mike Waterson, Nic Jones, Martin Simpson, Shirley Collins, Davy Graham, Martin Carthy, Eliza Carthy, The Watersons, The Full English and June Tabor and Oysterband to name but a few.
1. Both Sides The Tweed – Dick Gaughan
2. Canadee-i-o – Nic Jones
3. Angi – Davy Graham
4. The Sweet Primeroses – Shirley Collins
5. Never Any Good – Martin Simpson
6. Wasps In The Woodpile – Andrew Cronshaw
7. The Time Has Come – Pentangle
8. Blackwater Side – Anne Briggs
9. Scarborough Fair – Martin Carthy
10. Worcester City – Eliza Carthy
11. Dirty Old Town – Ewan MacColl
12. Pace Egging Song – The Watersons
13. Hedger And Ditcher – Silly Sisters
14. Unity (Raise Your Banners High) – John Tams
1. Love Will Tear Us Apart – June Tabor & Oysterband
2. The Handweaver And The Factory Maid – Brass Monkey
3. Ships Of Shame – Steve Ashley
4. The Land Of Three Rivers – Vin Garbutt
5. Dust – Johnny Handle
6. Tamlyn – Mike Waterson
7. Two-Fisted Heroes – Bill Caddick
8. The Ideal Schottische – The Cheviot Ranters
9. Blue Bleezin’ Blind Drunk – Cilla Fisher
10. Man In The Moon – The Full English
11. Talking Dustbowl Blues – Ramblin’ Jack Elliott
12. Barleycorn – Tim Van Eyken
13. When I Die – Peter Bellamy
14. Scan’s Polkas – Oak
Shirley Collins – An introduction to
Few singers of the English folk revival have attempted as much on record as Shirley Collins – an extraordinary combination of fragility and power. “I like music to be fairly straightforward, simply embellished – the performance without histrionics allowing you to think about the song rather than telling you what to think.”
Through an impressive series of experimental recordings Shirley established an extraordinarily sympathetic marriage of traditional songs handed down through generations of rural labouring people with ground breaking contemporary arrangements – recordings that have scarcely been equalled in subsequent decades. This collection of songs draws together some of her most iconic recordings and will serve as an Introduction to her very special catalogue of music.
1. The Foggy Dew
2. I Drew My Ship
3. A Blacksmith Courted Me
4. The False Bride
5. All Things Are Quite Silent
6. Polly Vaughan
7. False True Love
8. Spencer The Rover
9. The Sweet Primeroses
11. March The Morning Sun
12. The Cherry Tree Carol
13. The Moon Shines Bright
14. One Night As I Lay In My Bed
15. Come All You Little Streamers
Both are available to Pre-Order via ProperMusic.