On behalf of me and the rest of the Folk Radio UK team I’d like to wish all our readers and listeners a Merry Christmas and a Happy New Year. It’s been a busy year for us and we have plenty more on the way for 2016.
What better way than a revisit to one of the delights from Michael Tanner who made us this Winter Solstice Mix….
A midwinter mix for 2013 – Opening with the honeyed, worn-in tones of Bob Copper narrating Christmas-Past in the family household. There’s plenty of traditional Winter songs, field-recordings and a few medieval carols/older pieces to boot. A lot of this is sourced from my own collection so there’s plenty of evidence of chiselled vinyl and scratched shellac on display (…sorry about that, but I hope it adds something to the feel of the thing).
1. Bob Copper on Christmas (talk)
2. Shirley Collins – The Moon Shines Bright
3. Emily Levy and Katharine Taylor – Lullay Lullow
4. Jean Ritchie – The Cherry Tree Carol
5. Steve Ashley – Candlemas Carol
6. Martin Best Ensemble – Als I Lay On Yoolis Night
7. Jean Ritchie – The Carnal And The Crane
8. Waterson Carthy – The Old Churchyard
9. The Young Tradition – Lyke Wake Dirge
10. Anonymous 4 – Perperit Virgo
11. Shirley Collins – One Night As I lay On My Bed
12. Alfred Deller – Feste’s Song
13. Maddy Prior and June Tabor – The Seven Joys Of Mary
14. John Fleagle – Winter Wakeneth
15. Shirley Collins – March The Morning Sun
16. The Watersons – The Malpas Wassail