Teach them young they say, so why not apply the same to the virtues of vinyl and good music? Light In The Attic & Third Man Records have joined forces to do just that. On November 6th they release their exclusive children’s compilation, This Record Belongs To______. Featured on the album (full tracklisting below) are the likes of Vashti Bunyan, Woody Guthrie, Donovan, Harry Nilsson, Jerry Garcia, Nina Simone and Van Dyke Parks. This is not surprising when you consider the players involved in this release although for those adults who are smiling away, the final track is by Kermit the Frog…it was after all inspired by the classic Little Golden Books Series and Sesame Street’s In Harmony albums.
The wonders of this release don’t stop there: The record consists of two halves–an upbeat side for daytime dancin’ and a mellow side for bedtime lullabies. It also comes with Third Man Records new portable light-weight children’s turntable with built in speakers and a USB port for converting vinyl records to digital.
According to the LITA PR the release stems from
“a love of music, reading, and a passion for teaching future generations the interactive experience of holding an album in your hands, putting needle to groove, and immersing yourself in the pages of a record’s sleeve as the music plays. The compilation was compiled and sequenced by DJ and friend, Zach Cowie, who is as dear to our hearts as this collection of songs (previously passed around as a gift between friends) and is the soundtrack for many LITA & TMR offspring. These kiddos now all have undeniably excellent taste in tunes.
“The record is accompanied by an original, full-color storybook illustrated by acclaimed artist, Jess Rotter, which tells the tale of five forest pals who find a mysterious object–a round, flat disc that they proceed to investigate. The animal friends finally solve the mystery and learn how to play a record and let their bodies move to the groove (within the grooves).”
1. Shel Silverstein – Invitation
2. Van Dyke Parks – Occapella
3. Carole King – One Was Johnny
4. Harry Nilsson – The Town
5. Harry Nilsson – Me And My Arrow
6. The Pointer Sisters – Pinball Number Count
7. Woody Guthrie – Dance Around
8. Jerry Garcia & David Grisman – Jenny Jenkins
9. Roger Miller – Oo-De-Lally
10. Bobby Bare – Daddy What If
11. Ella Jenkins – Pretty Trees Around The World
12. Nina Simone – You Can Sing A Rainbow
13. Vashti Bunyan – Diamond Day
14. Donovan – The Mandolin Man And His Secret
15. Miss Abrams & The Strawberry Point 4th Grade Class – Running In The Garden
16. Kermit The Frog – Rainbow Connection
There are various bundle options available including CD / LP / with/without Turntable.