Michael Tanner (Plinth, United Bible Studies, The A. Lords) has very kindly put together this Winter Solstice Mix for Folk Radio UK which really captures the traditional spirit of this time of year. I’ll be honest…on my first listen I got completely wrapped up in this and it left me with a gorgeous warm feeling…this is really special!
Some words from Michael about the mix:
A midwinter mix for 2013 – Opening with the honeyed, worn-in tones of Bob Copper narrating Christmas-Past in the family household. There’s plenty of traditional Winter songs, field-recordings and a few medieval carols/older pieces to boot. A lot of this is sourced from my own collection so there’s plenty of evidence of chiselled vinyl and scratched shellac on display (…sorry about that, but I hope it adds something to the feel of the thing).
1. Bob Copper on Christmas (talk)
2. Shirley Collins – The Moon Shines Bright
3. Emily Levy and Katharine Taylor – Lullay Lullow
4. Jean Ritchie – The Cherry Tree Carol
5. Steve Ashley – Candlemas Carol
6. Martin Best Ensemble – Als I Lay On Yoolis Night
7. Jean Ritchie – The Carnal And The Crane
8. Waterson Carthy – The Old Churchyard
9. The Young Tradition – Lyke Wake Dirge
10. Anonymous 4 – Perperit Virgo
11. Shirley Collins – One Night As I lay On My Bed
12. Alfred Deller – Feste’s Song
13. Maddy Prior and June Tabor – The Seven Joys Of Mary
14. John Fleagle – Winter Wakeneth
15. Shirley Collins – March The Morning Sun
16. The Watersons – The Malpas Wassail
A big thanks to Michael Tanner for this mix.